BBB
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only registered members can view quoted posts.
    Haha. No I wasn't interested in spirits and strong beer at the Bol, I'd get fukced up too quick. I just used to drink that french beer you got in those boxes in the supermarche - the little green bottles with the twist off tops. We used to move up there on Thursday from Bandol, and leave Monday late morning, and I could get and stay reasonably pissed for the whole duration, but was still able to function and take it all in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr R View Post
    No mate the Ricard International Centre was towards the end of the Mistral just before the breaking point for the Signes curve,
    Was that on the inside of the track ? If so, I never went to that particular area. I went to the paddock loads but never there. The only thing I remember being at that point on the outside of the track, is the grandstand at Signes.

it was almost perfectly set to watch/hear the GSXR's blow up, the 1st year they raced there ('85?) I counted 7 of them lying against the armco on the inside of the track.
    Yes '85 (my first Bol) for the debut of the GSXR750, it was a GS thou with a GSXR style frame in '84, then they changed the cc limit for '85 to 750 for 4 cyl, and 1000cc for twins. It changed back to 1000cc for the 4 cyl in 2003.
    Oddly enough I've just been looking at pics of 33 years of Suzuki endurance racers from 1980 to 2012. You'll enjoy browsing through them - URL: Only registered members can view URLs.
    Last edited by MarkST; 13-04-2014 at 08:46 PM.
    2001 ST4
    2004 ST4s

URL: Only registered members can view URLs.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Crackin photostream!

I so regret not going to the Bol in the 1990's when I had the chance....

(scroll past the bikes... No Ducati interest ;-)
    Cheers - Frank

"He who wants to move the world, first, must move himself" Socrates...

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes that's the lot I was with. Did you suss that Frank ?
    The bikes you said to scroll past, that's Phil who posted the pictures up. He had a bike breaking business in Manchester for a spell.

The Bol d'Or at Ricard was something else, a real lifetime experience.
    There's no way it could be the same at Magny Cours or anywhere else. A bit like moving the Isle of Man TT to Thruxton and still calling it the Isle of Man TT.
    Last edited by MarkST; 15-04-2014 at 08:41 PM.
    2001 ST4
    2004 ST4s

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I just followed your clues ;-)

24Hr Race is still on the bucket list!
    Cheers - Frank

"He who wants to move the world, first, must move himself" Socrates...

Post Thanks / Like
    Le Mans is ok, and you can do it in a long weekend. Or even go over Friday and come back after the race on Sunday.

I used to take a month out over the Bol. Generally taking 3 days to get there through for example Geneva, Annecy, and over lots of the Cols up in the Alps, 3 days to get back,and the rest of the time exploring the Cote d'Azur with the Bol as the main attraction.
    I went a different way each year, but I always went over the Alps.
    Last edited by MarkST; 13-04-2014 at 08:59 PM.
    2001 ST4
    2004 ST4s

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah Mark,

I think the wild antics of the "International Brigades" had shut the free booze centre by '85, it was on the outside of the circuit right after the woods but before the Signe curves.
    As you've said it was a lifetime experience, if I close my eyes I can still see, smell and hear it in my head. I'll never forget my 1st or 3rd* but after that it became a bit samey (I still did 10 of them though), so I went to the other 24 hour races at Barcelona, Spa and Le Mans as well.
    Went over the Alps either way a few times, most time spent down there was 3 weeks** and one year went via the Hook of Holland.

*My 3rd was my 1st year working as a mechanic in the pits for Trevor Nation and Keith Buckley, I worked for a few other teams after that.
    Do you remember Chez Touche in Bandol or the "Dirty Bar"??...and did you ever get out onto the circuit after the race?
    I wouldn't do it now, but one year I clipped 140 mph on the Mistral wearing only a T shirt, shorts, baseball boots, helmet and motoX gloves.
    I also hit 168 mph in '80 on a F1 spec P+M RSC Honda in free practice.

**One year I hooked up with a French chic and didn't get past Paris on the way home for 3 months though.

Steve R

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    A not so shabby chic I guess Steve?
    I'm just too busy being fabulous!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've done Le Mans 3 times, and seriously regret not doing Barcelona and Spa when I had the chance.

Do you remember Chez Touche in Bandol or the "Dirty Bar"??...
    No I don't recall those places. I never really went out drinking in the evening, it was mostly sat round outside the tents drinking supermarket beer and having the crack. Sometimes we'd ride up to the track on maybe the monday or tuesday before the race, and there was just like the Honda works team dialling stuff in. There wasn't any security or other people around so you could just walk straight through to pit lane and stand and watch, We were always well behaved and respectful, and they didn't seem to mind us being there.

and did you ever get out onto the circuit after the race?
    Yes, once. 1986 on my GS thou shaftie with a mate on the back. Probably around 3am Monday after the race, getting onto the Mistral through the conveniently cut hole through the fencing, and then doing 1 lap at a sensible pace. When we got to the start/finish straight, there were straw bales all across it and a bloke stood there. When he saw us coming he just moved one of the bales out of the way and waved us through. I couldn't believe just how friggin tight some of the turns were, after seeing the pros blasting round them at a fair old lick.
    Last edited by MarkST; 20-04-2014 at 09:38 PM.
    2001 ST4
    2004 ST4s

Post Thanks / Like
    The earlier bikes with the Gixxer style frames etc and 2 valve aircooled motors were XR69's.
    A mate of mine's a BIG Suzuki fan and owns two genuine ex factory XR69 motors, one of them actually finished 3rd at the Bol it was rebuilt by the Factory team afterwards but never used again.
    The differences between the Superbike and Endurance spec motors, even went as far as using hollowed out cams on the short circuit bike but solid ones for endurance racing.
    They've got magnesium outer covers inc' the cam cover,Ti' fasteners, Kawasaki cam chain tensioners and jockey wheels, Ti' exhaust systems and have RG500 magnesium dry clutches and housings.
    Over 10 years ago now he turned down an offer of £20K for the endurance motor from a Japanese Suzuki enthusiast, they're very rare as they should have all gone to the crusher as the end of the season.

Steve R

Post Thanks / Like
    Best news ever.

Several sources quote a return to Ricard for the 2015 Bol d'Or. In September just like it always used to be : )

2001 ST4
    2004 ST4s

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast