BBB
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Feckin excellent news if it's true! My first 'Bol was '89, and it was life changing. What an event. It became a yearly pilgrimage until the mid '90's. I've also done the 'Bol at Magny Cours. It was shit! I'll be back it Ricard in a flash :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds good but a mate of mine went down the South and popped up to the circuit a few years back, he was gutted saying that the Grandstand etc had all been pulled down??

Steve R

Post Thanks / Like
    It states on circuitpaulricard.com faq 'Main grandstand: located in the starting straight line, opposite to the pit building, with 4,400 not covered outside grandstand seats'.
    Maybe they tore the old one down and built a new one, and your mate was there in between times Steve.

I've got to say, I'm not over keen on all those stripes though.

URL: Only registered members can view URLs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MarkST; 21-04-2014 at 08:48 AM.
    2001 ST4
    2004 ST4s

Post Thanks / Like
    never been to a 24hr race! on bucket list now!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just been looking at the pics Mark! That GS is well loaded up

Post Thanks / Like
    Only registered members can view quoted posts.
    Yeah we used to take far too much stuff in those days. We camped everywhere so we had tents, airbeds, sleeping bags, torches etc. We also did our own cooking so we had stoves, pots and pans, plates and cutlery, mugs, chopping boards and what not. I also took far too many different types of footwear too, and an open face helmet for cruising along the Cote d'Azur as well as the full face for the travelling. One of us would also have a ghetto blaster on board. The Mrs (at the time) was flying down on the Saturday morning of the race that year, so I had all of her stuff too.
    The only way I'd be carrying that much stuff these days, is if I was moving house.
    Btw, I took 55 litres of paint to London on that GS once.
    Last edited by MarkST; 23-04-2014 at 07:57 AM.
    2001 ST4
    2004 ST4s

Post Thanks / Like
    When I 1st went like Mark I took far too much, I never stretched to airbeds or cooking gear though.
    The last time I went on turning up at the meeting point at the Dartmouth Tunnel, a "newbie" was shocked at how little luggage I had strapped to a borrowed RD350LC F2*.
    He was even more shocked when I told him all I had was a tent, towel, toothbrush/paste and only one change of clothes.
    I didn't mention the pocket full of recreational pharmaceuticals or the pack of gum that went with the important one for the blast.
    He was also on Yam' F2 LC and had so much kit that you could hardly see his bike under it all.
    *I'd blown up my Beckett tuned proddy Mk1 Powervalve,twisting the crank only 2 days before we were due to leave.
    Luckily a mate who just happened to be passing saw me sat outside my place staring at it, looking a bit down in the dumps. He said...
    "I can't see you so unhappy mate, I tell you what you can borrow one of my bikes, as long as you get greencard insurance for the trip".
    He then drove me round to his place opened his garage and said "Take your pick mate", (there were 13 bikes in there) then onto the insurance office where he decided that he'd come as well. He took his new ZX10, which was a sight more reliable than the Commando he'd taken previously.

Steve R...Lucky all my life!
    Last edited by Mr R; 23-04-2014 at 08:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You ever going again Steve/Mr R ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Only registered members can view quoted posts.
    I'd love to go again mate, revisit old haunts/memories and do it on my 851 as it would be the fastest bike I've ever ridden down on but...
    Being "Semi Retired" and living in the lowest paid region of the UK, my chances of going are pretty low, I've more chance of getting over for the 24 Hour Le Mans race.
    This year my aim's to get away with my little girls, hopefully visiting Pat my youngest son at his "grot" in London to do the Museums etc and then get over to the Manx on the 851.

On another note...
    Today (, yesterday and tomorrow) before and after my little Tesco's job, I've been modifying the Injector Rack for my 851, chopping, hack sawing, filing off any lugs etc that don't need to be there, swapping out all of the fasteners for Ti' ones, shortening these and counter boring holes to make them fit etc.
    It's been fun and a lot of work*, but I reckon/ NO I'm confident that (unless someones had some made in Mag'? Yeah like that's happened) I've now got the lightest set of TB's/injectors fitted to anything like my old nail.
    I'm using only a RH alloy side bar taken from a 748/9*6 instead of the OEM steel item, but I've lost a fair bit from it I reckon it now weighs less than the 2 carbon side bars fitted to the factory Corse bikes, whilst still keeping enough strength.
    I'm chuffed mate, I know you'd be impressed with the work/effort.

*Apart from counter boring the threaded holes with an electric drill, everything else has been done by hand.

Steve R
    Last edited by Mr R; 26-04-2014 at 08:20 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123