BBB
    Post Thanks / Like

Exhaust noise/note ??

Guys,i have an 96 900SS with various modifications one being the bespoke ('bespoke' = built in the shed) exhaust with a two into two exhaust,no link with short gp style cans/silencers.
    My question is how do i get back the boom like i had when i had huge Micron race cans fitted.I know the short cans i have wont help but i have got around 200mm of silencing before the cans also which is hard to notice in an effort to bring the db's down.Since modifying the bike i have come to the decision i want the noise to change,not necessarily quieter but they are a little harsh.I have to fit db killers to the cans when doing track days.
    Now the thing is i dont want huge cans again as the bike itself has a compact look to it and that would spoil it.I have thought about two cans under the seat unit,one either side or even under the sump but my thinking is the shorter the pipe the louder the noise.Also does linking the two pipes help with noise/tone...

Any advice help much appreciated...im now off to get some more inspiration from google images lol

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Can you get wider diameter cans ??

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes i could,its just how big to go due to space available.My old Microns made a lovely baritone note but were the same size as standard albeit higher up like Superlight types.Now i have changed the look of the bike it means big cans wont work.Im between a rock and a hard place i guess.I have seen some reverse megaphone silencers like old school cafe racer use and im wondering whether these will work with the aesthetics??

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Only one way to find out

Have a look at PJ engineering if you fancy making some or Spark do a nice megaphone exhaust

Post Thanks / Like
    Funny that because i used PJ parts before for my can i have now and the one on my other bike...handy company.My mate is bringing one of his megaphone silencers off his flat tracker for me to have a play with.