BBB
    Post Thanks / Like

Floppy gear lever

Had a bit of a mixed day today really. Rode over to Ducati Lincoln (150 mile round trip) to test ride a Panigale 1299 and a hypermotard. Didn't get to ride a motard as their 2015 model hadn't had its psi yet (should have called first, but it was a nice day/nice ride). Did test a 1299 (will post thoughts later). Anyway, got to back home, to my driveway intact, and the gear lever went odd. Got off and checked, and the lever isn't returning, so assume the gear lever return spring is buggered, can select first (up) no problem, and can select neutral, can even select second, but lever just stays down. Will have a look in the morning and see if it's something I can fix/change
    998R, D16RR, Hypermotard SP

Post Thanks / Like
    Was pretty sure it was the return spring on the gear change shaft, so, took the cover off that's over the gear change (top tip, one bolt is hidden behind the chain/front sprocket) took out shaft and bingo, one broken spring. Have ordered a new one, but Ducati are taking the Michael, it's around £40 just for the spring ! Still, I've saved on labour, and my hair was already grey.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine snapped wednesday about a mile from home after 2400 mile trip round Bavaria & nurburgring.

Same symptoms Steve.

Both springs from motorapido £7.44 (748/900/1100/1200) changed both as they where so cheap
    But i had to buy £89 flywheel locking tool and loctite 128455 for flywheel nut.

Easy job though.
    Rick
    Last edited by Cobra88; 14-06-2015 at 01:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    only one spring for me, actually on the gear shift lever shaft, so didn't need any special tools just a torx bit, and I guess I'll need some gasket gunk when I put the cover back on. At least both our bikes got us more or less home. Did you manage the last mile ?

Post Thanks / Like
    yep I guessed it was the spring as my 748 did the same thing and fixed a mates M900 before.

Only pain is on mine it's behind Flywheel

Just trickled home in 3rd as it wouldn't go down below 3
    My spring looked very dry as it's not really in any oil spray so I coated it in chainsaw oil to help it last 13,500 miles on first spring.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a pain. Mine was part no 21 on diagram, so only six bolts and remember how the mech fits together.
    image.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    wow nice quick release gearbox

have to split cases on mine .

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Cassette gearbox, whole thing comes out the other side in one piece